How To Insure Your Car For the First Time
Check out what to do when insuring your car for the first time. Read our guide and get free quotes car insurance.
- Check your state’s legislation. Each state imposes a minimum financial responsibility for every driver that resides there. Most states require a minimum amount of car insurance, but some states allow drivers to prove financial responsibility via other means, such as filing a surety bond of a certain amount. Check your state’s Department of Insurance website to find out more. Usually, you will have to buy liability insurance which includes Bodily Injury coverage and Property Damage coverage.
- Consider buying optional coverage. Since liability covers only the damage you cause, not the one you receive when you are the guilty driver, you should consider buying additional coverage. Collision insurance is the adequate solution. Also, keep in mind that if you do not fully own the car, you will also have to buy comprehensive coverage. However, if you drive an older car, get rid of these two coverages as soon as you can. Otherwise, you can end up paying more that car’s value
- Make sure you provide the right info. Insuring a car is a pretty delicate matter and providing incorrect or incomplete data will make you pay more. Trying to hide certain details will also jeopardize the underwriting process.
- Carefully select parameters. This is another complicated part of the process. It is up to you to decide coverage limits and deductibles. Based on your selections, the price of insurance will vary. It is wise to work with an agent, especially when insuring the car for the first time.
- Ask for discounts. There may be some discounts available to you that you were not aware of. Ask for a list of discounts offered by the company and review it.
Access our homepage for more info about car insurance. Check our website!